- Head of Management Accounting
- NHS AfC: Band 8c
- 37.5 hours per week
- 67 Belsize Lane
- £68,554 - £79,374 per annum (inc. HCAS)
- 28/10/2019 23:59
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust is a specialist mental health trust with a focus on training and education alongside a full range of mental health services and psychological therapies for children and their families, young people and adults.
We are committed to improving mental health and emotional wellbeing, believing that high quality mental health services should be available for all who need them. We bring a distinctive contribution based on the importance we attach to social experience at all stages of people’s lives, and our focus on psychological and developmental approaches to the promotion of health and the prevention and treatment of mental ill health
We contribute to the pool of ideas through our own research and development, but are also committed to bringing together the best ideas of the time, old and new, from inside and out, together with the most gifted and able professionals in our fields of endeavour. We aim to share our ideas and practice through as many routes as possible.
As a Trust we aim constantly to be evolving in nature and form in relation to the environment in which we work, to ensure that our contribution remains relevant.
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust are looking for a Head of Management Accounting to join their finance team. The Foundation Trust has revenues of circa £55m, employs over 700 people and for almost 100 years has been committed to improving mental health, emotional wellbeing and gender dysphoria for children, families and adults. They aim to spread their way of thinking and practice through devising and delivering high quality clinical services, the provision of training and education, research, organisational consulting and influencing public debate. The finance team is close-knit and collaborative, giving you the opportunity to work a broad and varied role, as well as manage your own team of three people.
Head of Management Accounting Job Description:
The management accounting team is the function within the Finance Department which works most closely with operational managers to set, monitor and manage Trust finances and, as such, is critical to the ability of the Trust to attain its key short and long term strategic and business objectives.
Working closely with the Director of Financial Operations and the Director of Finance, the post holder will be responsible for the leadership and performance of the management accounting function of the Trust, ensuring that the function supports the Trust in the delivery of its key strategic and business objectives, that systems and processes are fit for purpose and that staff are trained and equipped to deliver the necessary support and services to other Trust departments.
The key elements of the role include:
- Influencing strategic decision making within the Trust through the provision of business and financial advice to Budget Holders and Directorate Directors, including the Clinical Chief Operating Officer, the Head of Education and Training and the Medical Director.
- Analysing, interpreting and comparing highly complex information in the production of major business cases to ensure the business and clinical objectives of the Trust are achieved. Supporting the production of business cases in respect of service developments within the Trust and with partner organisations.
- Working with Trust Directors to ensure that savings and efficiency projects are accurately identified both at a planning and delivery phase. Ensure that financial expertise and acumen is deployed in the achievement of transformation projects.
- Responsible for development of Trust costing and pricing systems and, in particular, for development and implementation of the Trust’s NHSI/E-mandated Patient Level Costing System.
- Managing and overseeing the management accounting function.
- Preparing policies and procedures for the Finance directorate and the wider Trust, relevant to the remit of the management accounting function.
- Deputising for the Director of Financial Operations, in their finance capacity, as necessary.
Head of Management Accounting Person Specification:
The Head of Management Accounting role requires a CCAB qualified accountant with post qualification experience as a Senior Management Accountant, Finance Business Partner or Head of Management Accounting. It is essential that this person has previous experience delivering robust budgets and forecasts, delivering high quality presentations to non-finance audiences, and working with Senior Managers and Directors.
You do not need to have NHS experience to be considered for this role; however, NHS employees are welcomed. It is important to be able to demonstrate the versatility of supporting your team with the detail, as well as influencing senior management team with strategy.
Head of Management Accounting Package:
- Band: 8c £68,554 - £79,374* (*inclusive of London weighting)
- 27 days annual leave + 8 bank holidays (holiday entitlement raises to 33 days with service)
- Flexible working
- Annual Recognition Awards
- Excellent Learning and Development opportunities
- Excellent Pension Scheme:1% (or above at Band 8c)
- Health services discounts (retail, holidays, entertainment and restaurants)
- Car parking facilities and season ticket loan
- Bike racks and showers
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact
Terry Noys via email@example.com